English below with more detailed information
Á námskeiðinu fá þátttakendur þjálfun í að vinna söngleikjatónlist frá mismunandi tímum og flytja verkin sem þeir hafa unnið á tónleikum í lok námskeiðsins. Nemendur vinna með leiðbeinanda í einkatímum og hóptímum, læra söng-, leik- og sviðstækni, vinna að samhengi, texta og tónlistar og skoða bakgrunn verksins og persónusköpun. Námskeiðinu lýkur með tónleikum
Hæfniviðmið: Að loknu tveggja vikna námskeiði munu nemendur hafa betri skilning á eftirfarandi viðfangsefnum:
- Hvernig vinna á sönglög út frá dramatískum sjónarhóli og færa yfir í túlkun þegar verkin eru flutt.
- Almenn þekking á sögu söngleikja frá 1920- 1930 alveg fram til áhrifa popp og rokk og annara tónlistarstefna á söngleikjatónlist dagsins í dag.
- Betri skilningur á heilbrigðri raddtækni.
- Þekking á verkfærum og tækni til að undirbúa og flytja verk með aðstoð leiðbeinanda.
Kennari / Teacher: Ryan Driscoll
Píanóleikari: Birna Kristín Ásbjörnsdóttir / Baldvin Snær Hlynsson
Kennslutungumál / Language: Enska / English
Staðsetning / Location: Skipholt 31
Kennslutímabil / Time period: 19.-30. júli mánudaga til föstudaga / Mondays to Fridays
Kennslutími / Teaching hours: 8:30-12:00 og 13:00-17:00
Einingar/ Units: 4 ECTS. Ef námskeið er tekið til ECTS eininga, þarf nemandi að hafa lokið stúdentsprófi.
Course Description: Music theatre is a very specific artform in the performing arts and while the medium pulls from various aspects of the arts—namely acting, singing and dance—it is a genre that is uniquely its own by virtue of the fact that music theatre is wholly dependent on the cohesive integration between acting, singing and dance. This course will primarily be structured as a performance-based course where students will be required to work on music theatre repertoire from different eras of the genre through class coachings with the instructor and followed up with group discussions. These repertoire requirements will ensure that while students are actively learning the acting and singing techniques of music theatre performance, they will also be understanding the genre itself through research and preparation of the songs that they will be assigned. Thus, a comprehensive education will be gained through both performance and research. A culmination of the course will be presented as a final showcase where students will perform one song they have worked on in class showing both their acting and vocal progress.
Course Objectives: At the end of the two-week course, students will have a better understanding of the following topics:
- How to analyze a solo song from a dramatic perspective and how to execute that understanding through performance.
- A general knowledge and appreciation of the progression of the music theatre genre from the early foundations in the 1920s-1930s with Gershwin, Berlin, Rodgers and Hart and Cole Porter, to the birth of the modern American musical with Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! in 1943 and its Golden Age period through the 1960s, to the invention of the concept musical and the breaking of traditional writing conventions from composers such as Stephen Sondheim and Kander and Ebb in the 1970s and 1980s, to the London invasion of the “mega musical” of the 1980s and 1990s and finally to the infiltration of pop and rock music influences of today’s contemporary music theatre.
- A better understanding of healthy vocal technique through private voice lessons.
- Knowledge of tools and techniques to prepare songs and performances on their own and not with the aid of an instructor.
- The two-week course will culminate in a final showcase where students will demonstrate the knowledge they have learned
Classroom: This two-week course will consist of 3 cycles. For each cycle, students will select a song based on the repertoire requirements assigned below and will coach their chosen song once in class during each cycle. Each coaching will be approximately 20-25 minutes in length. On the first day of class, an order will be created so that every student will know on which day they are to coach during each cycle.
For each song that is chosen, each student is required to turn in a Song Questionnaire and Circumstance Report to the instructor at the coaching. The Song Questionnaire and Circumstance Report ensures that students have learned and understood the material from which the song is derived. The origin and musical information of a song can significantly inform its interpretation and performance.
Voice Lessons: Each student will be given 2 voice lessons during the first week of class. Each voice lesson will be 30 minutes in length. At the first voice lesson, instruction will be focused on vocal technique and vocalises to ensure healthy singing. In addition, each student will work on vocal technique on their Cycle 1 song. At the second voice lesson, students will be required to come to the lesson having vocalized using the methods and tools given in the first lesson. At the second lesson, the student will primarily work on vocal technique on their chosen Cycle 2 and Cycle 3 songs.
Cycle 1: Choose a song written by the following list of composers:
- Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Rodgers and Hart, Cole Porter, Noël Coward, Burton Lane, Jerome Kern, Harold Arlen, Kurt Weill, Marc Blitzstein
Cycle 2: Choose a song written by the following list of composers:
- Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, Bock and Harnick, Jones and Schmidt, Kander and Ebb, Jerry Herman, Jule Styne, Cy Coleman, Marvin Hamlisch, Meredith Willson, Leonard Bernstein
Cycle 3: Choose a song written by the following list of composers:
- Stephen Sondheim, William Finn, Ahrens and Flaherty, Maltby and Shire, Andrew Lippa, Stephen Schwartz, Pasek and Paul, Jeanine Tesori, Jason Robert Brown, Maury Yeston, Alan Menken, Tom Kitt, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Lawrence O'Keefe, Marc Shaiman
Verð: Hvert sumarnámskeið kostar 3.000 kr. alls. Vinsamlegast athugið að námskeiðsgjald er ekki endurgreitt nema námskeið falli niður.
Nánari upplýsingar: sumarnam [at] lhi.is, Karólína Stefánsdóttir og Björg Stefánsdóttir
Vegna COVID-19 getur fyrirkomulag kennslu breyst með skömmum fyrirvara.
Vinsamlegast athugið að öll námskeið eru auglýst með fyrirvara um lágmarksþátttöku