*Note that the application deadline is April 12th. That date also refers to turning in the portfolio.
The application process is two-tiered:
- Please complete the electronic application on the university website.
- Please note: It is important to complete all fields marked with an asterisk, attach all required documents, pay the application fee, and confirm the application.
- Please scan and attach to the electronic application an institutionally stamped copy of a degree certificate (photocopies are not valid) as well as a record of completed courses.
- If attachments are not valid the applicant receives an email and is afforded the opportunity to amend the application.
- Applicants receives confirmation if the electronic application is valid.
- Please submit a portfolio to the respective department’s office no later than April 12th 2023.
- If applying to more than one programme or department, a separate application and portfolio are required for each programme/department.
- The portfolios should be submitted to IUA office in Þverholt 11, 5th floor. (note that portfolios can not be submitted electronicly)
Regarding the Portfolio
Afterward, all physical portfolios must be collected at the university office in Þverholt 11 before a set deadline, given in an email sent to applicants. Portfolios that are not collected are not archived and the university reserves the right to dispose of uncollected portfolios.
If the portfolio is mailed:
Listaháskóli Íslands, Dept. of Design and Architecture
Application is only valid when the electronic application has been approved and if the portfolio has been submitted before April 12th 2023.
Once applications have been assessed, each admission committee reviews all submitted portfolios. The aim of the review is to examine the applicant’s proficiency relevant to the respective field and the artistic value of the works in the portfolio. Special consideration is given to the original works of the applicant that attest to independent methodology and an independent and creative approach to the subject at hand. Applicants that pass the examination of the admission committee enter a qualifying stage and receive an interview invitation. Not all applicants receive an interview invitation.
The purpose of the interview is to get a sense of the general interests of the applicant relevant to the prospective studies, his/her/their view and approach to design and architecture and understanding of the design world, as well as his/her/their view of the subject matters and ideas of architecture. The applicant should be prepared to discuss the works submitted in the portfolio. An applicant invited to an interview may also expect to be given a special assignment before the interview, information is provided when the applicant is invited to the interview.
The admission committee is authorized to send applicants to an admission test if considered necessary.
All applicants receive an online reply to applications in May/June.
Applicants that have been granted admission need to pay a confirmation fee. This fee is non-refundable and becomes an installation for school fees.
The decision of the admission committee is ultimate and the committee is not obligated to give any further reasoning for declining admission.
Exemptions from Admission Requirements
In order to be exempted from admission requirements (secondary education or comparable studies), the applicant’s portfolio must exhibit outstanding ability, knowledge, and vision in the respective field.